Norfolk’s Leading Indoor Bowls Club
FEBRUARY NEWSLETTER 2020
1. The AGM of Acle Indoor Bowls Club will be held on Monday 27th April in the bowls lounge at 7.30pm. For any new or existing member wishing to represent Acle in any of the Club's 6 County teams can contact any of the Captains for further information or enter name and contact details on the list pinned on the ladies and men's noticeboards. The squads for 2020/21 season will be decided soon.
2. The Acle Presentation Evening will be held on Saturday 9th May. Tickets and further details will be available soon.
3. Look out for a survey coming out soon about Wednesday Double Triples for options to change it to some other playing format.
4. The Acle Recreation Centre are having an Open Weekend on 20th and 21st June and the Bowls Club will open for people to 'have a go'. Details will be posted later.
5. We are having a BIG 50, 50/50 raffle in aid of Aspergers Society (in support of our very own Matty Sparrow who is the Norfolk Federation County President this year), and 50% to our Junior section.
6. We are in need of a Steward to undertake the duty on Saturday mornings from 10am to 12.30pm and of course other days if you are interested. See Denis or Lilian for details. Full training will be given.
7. Next season we will be welcoming Jane and John Mann as our new Club Presidents.
8. England International, Andy Thomson will be visiting the Club on Monday 20th April to undertake a coaching session for our youngsters.
9. We will be having another Adult Skills night on Thursday 16th April. Details to follow.
10. There is a list of Social Events posted on the Noticeboard and we are already planning for next season.
11. WEB STATISTICS. To date we have had 19,455 hits on You Tube featuring our youngsters in the Potters Junior Final of 2013.
IF YOU HAVE ANY ITEMS WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE FEATURED IN THE NEWSLETTER, PLEASE CONTACT LILIAN AND IT WILL BE GIVEN DUE CONSIDERATION.
JANUARY NEWSLETTER 2020
1. Hope it is not too late to wish everyone a Happy New Year and a Healthy one.
2. We have 16 entries in the Wednesday night Aussie League. The teams will be split into 4 groups and winners will play a semi final and final.
3. Radio Norfolk. The Club was used as part of the Sunday morning Treasure Hunt with a visit from Julie Reinger who had to bowl to the 'jack' to find her next clue. Good publicity for the Club.
4. Next season. You will see a list of vacancies we have in various leagues for next season so please advise Lilian or Denis or any Duty Steward if interested so we can put you on the list which helps us formulate the program for next season.
5. Ladies County League. Next season is progressing ahead with changes despite the wishes of Acle Captains, negotiations will continue and we are investigating alternatives.
6. Federation. A programme of play-offs for the Federation competitions are displayed on the noticeboard.
7. The club is proud of the way the Acle Men's A team has unified as a TEAM and despite losing 8 players they are as strong as ever.
8. Top Club. congratulations to the players on reaching the last 16 of this national competition.
9. Congratulations to Ryan on being selected not only in the U18 England side but also in the England U25s team. Ryan becomes our thirteenth member to represent England - quite an achievement for a village club.
11. Please make yourselves aware of club rules with regards leagues. We recently had a team of ladies playing in a mixed triples league which is not allowed. Mixed leagues must include at least one member of the opposite gender, ladies leagues are only for ladies and men's leagues are only for men. The only other league which allows a team of all ladies or all men is the Friday Open Triples League.
Bowls Hierarchy honour Norfolk Man
At a ceremony at the Acle Indoor Bowls Club recently, Ken Ince the retired Norfolk County Indoor Bowls Secretary was presented with the very first ‘Service of Merit Award’ from the English Indoor Bowls Association who were represented by their CEO, Peter Thompson who said,’
‘ I am delighted to be here today to present the first Service of Merit Award from the EIBA which recognises a very high level of dedication to the sport of bowls.’
Ken is a prime example of why this Award has been created. He has provided nearly 40 years of administration to the game in Norfolk through his own club and the Norfolk County Bowls Associaion. During this period he was County Secretary from 2000 to 2017 and President in 2010-11.
‘He provided great service to the EIBA as an Area Competition Secretary for 11 seasons and also our voluntary ‘proof reader’ of publications’
Therefore it gives me great pleasure to say Ken Ince, thank you on behalf of the EIBA and sport of Indoor Bowls for all that you have done and I am delighted to present our Service of Merit Award
Additional info for Acle Members – Ken was a member of Acle IBC and our Manager, whilst in post as Director of the EBA, nominated Ken for this Award.
July Reinger of Radio Norfolks Treasure Quest who visited Acle Indoor Bowls to find a clue under a 'jack'
She is seen in Seen in the photo with 17 yr old Ryan Garman, our current England International, who instructed her how to bowl to the jack.
Also in the photo is Arran and Syd who always coach beginners on Sunday mornings
Ryan Garman, who will be Norfolk’s sole representative in the England Under 25 team in February.
17 yr old Ryan has already played for the England under 18’s, but has quickly moved up to the under 25 England Team.
Acle have won the South league with 1 game to go -undefeated home and away ,as they did last year,and will play in the final at Dereham
on Tues 25th Feb at 10-00am