Norfolk’s Leading Indoor Bowls Club
MARCH / APRIL NEWSLETTER
1. CLOSURE. The Club will now go on total shutdown and following latest Government Guidelines, Denis will not now be opening as he hoped on Tuesday and Saturday mornings.
2. Winter League, National and Club and County competition forms are on the website. There is no closing date as such as the goalposts keep moving.
3. ACLE AGM. There will be no AGM but Denis will be happy to receive any proposals and nominations in the post so we can work on them and hopefully a lot of the officer posts can be slotted in. Where a vote has to be taken it will happen when we open the doors again.
4. WEDNESDAY EVENING. Following the survey, Wednesday Evenings will be an Aussie Format, hopefully in 2 Divisions and the Committee will decide which leagues teams will initially play in, so when you put in your entry please declare all the players in your team.
5. RAFFLE. Denis will draw the 50/50 raffle and any dated items will be replaced. Winners listed on future Newsletter but obviously not sure when you can collect.
6. MONIES. We will be donating £120 to Juniors and £120 to Aspergers Society from the raffle money. Thanks for your support.
7. I cannot think what, but if there is something at club that you cannot live without, contact Denis and he will arrange exchange.
8. PRESENTATION EVENING. This has been cancelled and the final league positions decided later by Committee unless obvious. Club Finals will take place in the second week of our return, perhaps on Sundays.
KEEP SAFE EVERYONE
Please Note :
The Club is now closed at ALL times
until further notice.
All Neccesary Forms for the AGM and next season will be made available for Downloading early this week commencing 23rd March
THE CLUB WILL CLOSE FROM TUESDAY 17TH MARCH UNTIL MONDAY THE 14TH SEPTEMBER
1. There will be no Summer Leagues (entry fee refunded later) and No Drives.
2. Club Raffle which has already raised £100 for Juniors and £100 for Aspergers Society will be drawn at the next Committee Meeting.
3. Presentation Night - cancelled.
4. AGM - cancelled
ENJOY YOUR BOWLS VACATION AND STAY SAFE
MARCH NEWSLETTER 2020
1. 50/50 RAFFLE. Still time to buy your raffle tickets for the Grand 50/50 draw which will be on 1st April. Proceeds will be divided between Asperger Society and Acle Junior Section. First Prize £50.
2. WEDNESDAY NIGHT SURVEY. Survey sheets are available. Please complete as soon as possible.
3. CLUB BASEBALL CAPS. On sale at reception for £10 for use indoors or out to wear with pride as you probably play for the best club in the country.
4. DUTY STEWARD. We could do with at least 1 more steward to cover for retirements and illness.
5. COVID-19. A reminder to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus to use the gel dispensers in changing rooms after washing your hands thoroughly. The shaking of hands before and after a game is optional.
6. NEW LEAGUE. The Open Triples league on Fridays at 2.30pm could be changed to a Novice League which will only be open to players who have played 3 years or less or it can be an open triples format. OR Should we say Open Pairs which is easier for new members to find a partner? Lets have your thoughts.
FEBRUARY NEWSLETTER 2020
1. The AGM of Acle Indoor Bowls Club will be held on Monday 27th April in the bowls lounge at 7.30pm. For any new or existing member wishing to represent Acle in any of the Club's 6 County teams can contact any of the Captains for further information or enter name and contact details on the list pinned on the ladies and men's noticeboards. The squads for 2020/21 season will be decided soon.
2. The Acle Presentation Evening will be held on Saturday 9th May. Tickets and further details will be available soon.
3. Look out for a survey coming out soon about Wednesday Double Triples for options to change it to some other playing format.
4. The Acle Recreation Centre are having an Open Weekend on 20th and 21st June and the Bowls Club will open for people to 'have a go'. Details will be posted later.
5. We are having a BIG 50, 50/50 raffle in aid of Aspergers Society (in support of our very own Matty Sparrow who is the Norfolk Federation County President this year), and 50% to our Junior section.
6. We are in need of a Steward to undertake the duty on Saturday mornings from 10am to 12.30pm and of course other days if you are interested. See Denis or Lilian for details. Full training will be given.
7. Next season we will be welcoming Jane and John Mann as our new Club Presidents.
8. England International, Andy Thomson will be visiting the Club on Monday 20th April to undertake a coaching session for our youngsters.
9. We will be having another Adult Skills night on Thursday 16th April. Details to follow.
10. There is a list of Social Events posted on the Noticeboard and we are already planning for next season.
11. WEB STATISTICS. To date we have had 19,455 hits on You Tube featuring our youngsters in the Potters Junior Final of 2013.
IF YOU HAVE ANY ITEMS WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE FEATURED IN THE NEWSLETTER, PLEASE CONTACT LILIAN AND IT WILL BE GIVEN DUE CONSIDERATION.
JANUARY NEWSLETTER 2020
1. Hope it is not too late to wish everyone a Happy New Year and a Healthy one.
2. We have 16 entries in the Wednesday night Aussie League. The teams will be split into 4 groups and winners will play a semi final and final.
3. Radio Norfolk. The Club was used as part of the Sunday morning Treasure Hunt with a visit from Julie Reinger who had to bowl to the 'jack' to find her next clue. Good publicity for the Club.
4. Next season. You will see a list of vacancies we have in various leagues for next season so please advise Lilian or Denis or any Duty Steward if interested so we can put you on the list which helps us formulate the program for next season.
5. Ladies County League. Next season is progressing ahead with changes despite the wishes of Acle Captains, negotiations will continue and we are investigating alternatives.
6. Federation. A programme of play-offs for the Federation competitions are displayed on the noticeboard.
7. The club is proud of the way the Acle Men's A team has unified as a TEAM and despite losing 8 players they are as strong as ever.
8. Top Club. congratulations to the players on reaching the last 16 of this national competition.
9. Congratulations to Ryan on being selected not only in the U18 England side but also in the England U25s team. Ryan becomes our thirteenth member to represent England - quite an achievement for a village club.
11. Please make yourselves aware of club rules with regards leagues. We recently had a team of ladies playing in a mixed triples league which is not allowed. Mixed leagues must include at least one member of the opposite gender, ladies leagues are only for ladies and men's leagues are only for men. The only other league which allows a team of all ladies or all men is the Friday Open Triples League.
ACLE RETAIN COUNTY TITLE
Acle Indoor Bowls Club retained the County O60s double rink league for the second season and have en undefeated at home and away for the past 2 years.
In the County Final at Dereham IBC they again met Woodlands IBC from Sheringham with the rink of Brian Kirby Ian Anderson, Ivan Borrett and skip Denis Goodley winning 22 - 18 and the other rink of Richard Pope, Bernard Wymer, Paul Webb and skip Roger Barnbrook winning 27 – 14.
17yr old Ryan Garman of the Acle Indoor Bowls Club was voted ‘ ‘Player of the Series ‘for England at the recent British Isles Championships .He is being presented with the Award by Denis Goodley who is Hon Life Member of the governing body of indoor bowls, the EIBA, and he is also the very proud Manager of Acle IBC.
‘Not only did Ryan receive this award for England but another ex Acle IBC member who was representing Wales ,Daniel Seabourne ,was awarded ‘Most Valuable Player ‘of all four Countries represented,’ he said,’this must be the first time that one club has provided both award winners at this level,’he added.
‘Ryan represented England U 18s last year and this year, at still only 17yrs of age represented England at U25s level. He is a credit to the club and their hard working coaching staff.’
The first winner of this award was yet another Acle bowler, Tim Stone, who won it in 2002/3 and went on to play for the Senior England side and also play in the World Championships on two occasions.
July Reinger of Radio Norfolks Treasure Quest who visited Acle Indoor Bowls to find a clue under a 'jack'
She is seen in Seen in the photo with 17 yr old Ryan Garman, our current England International, who instructed her how to bowl to the jack.
Also in the photo is Arran and Syd who always coach beginners on Sunday mornings
Bowls Hierarchy honour Norfolk Man
At a ceremony at the Acle Indoor Bowls Club recently, Ken Ince the retired Norfolk County Indoor Bowls Secretary was presented with the very first ‘Service of Merit Award’ from the English Indoor Bowls Association who were represented by their CEO, Peter Thompson who said,’
‘ I am delighted to be here today to present the first Service of Merit Award from the EIBA which recognises a very high level of dedication to the sport of bowls.’
Ken is a prime example of why this Award has been created. He has provided nearly 40 years of administration to the game in Norfolk through his own club and the Norfolk County Bowls Associaion. During this period he was County Secretary from 2000 to 2017 and President in 2010-11.
‘He provided great service to the EIBA as an Area Competition Secretary for 11 seasons and also our voluntary ‘proof reader’ of publications’
Therefore it gives me great pleasure to say Ken Ince, thank you on behalf of the EIBA and sport of Indoor Bowls for all that you have done and I am delighted to present our Service of Merit Award
Additional info for Acle Members – Ken was a member of Acle IBC and our Manager, whilst in post as Director of the EBA, nominated Ken for this Award.