Norfolk’s Leading Indoor Bowls Club
LOCKDOWN NEWSLETTER 5 - JUNE 2020
Have you checked to see if you are a winner, especially for the £50?
2. Sadly we have to report the sad death of Ken Pink at the ago of 91 years.
3. GARDEN CONTEST
The winner of the Garden Competition is Angela Lee and Denis will drop round with a bottle of bubbly. Well done. Thank you to all 15 entrants for your excellent photos.
4. WINTER LEAGUE ENTRIES.
Lilian will be compiling a list of captains to ring about entries to leagues that have not come in yet.
It would be helpful if we all paid our subs sooner rather than later this season - once the doors open of course.
6. OUTDOOR BOWLERS
If you want to pick up your bowls from the club, Lilian will be at the club on Mondays from 10.00am and Denis would open club in emergencies.
7. When we do open we will still take care and we will have masks available for sale and cleaning stations at the end of each rink. Anyone attending the club who is ill will be taken outside and shot, unless their name is Cummings when they will be interrogated and then shot.
8. Denis has been working with the EIBA on a New Code of Practice and will then work with the Rec Centre on a Risk Assessment in readiness for our future opening.
9. Nobody has claimed the £50 prize in the raffle - hurry up before Denis spends it on more paint.
LOCKDOWN NEWSLETTER 4 - MAY 2020
1. MARCH 2021 - POTTERS GANG
Good news, all of us will be given a £10pppn 'YES' per night, credit card when we arrive to be spent on the Resort. Great news for Gin and Tonic Gang!
2. GARDEN CONTEST
We have 9 entries so far to the Garden Contest but still waiting for someone to make a trophy of some description.
3. OUTDOOR BOWLING
Good news for the outdoor bowlers being allowed to play singles. We are still planning on a September 14th opening for roll ups indoors with leagues starting the following week. Some sort of control of numbers will be in force if social distancing is still a directive from government. Fingers and everything else crossed.
4. WINTER LEAGUES
Have you notified Lilian of your winter league entries yet? If you don't want to post them to the office you can call or email the office,01493 750869, firstname.lastname@example.org on Monday mornings or any time at home, 01603 439949, email@example.com . You could also put a note through the letterbox at the Club.
5. When things ease a little more I am hoping to open the office for a couple of mornings as we have a glass panel between us and yourselves.
6. FRIDAY JUNIOR TRAINING
Due to the changes in the Ladies County League, we will have to take 30 minutes off the junior training time on certain Fridays. (Only 4 rinks will be used for County League so junior coaches could use the other 2 if necessary, or use the time for tuition in the lounge area.)
7. FRIDAY 2.30 LEAGUE
To clarify, we are trying to form a Novice League for this slot but are also still taking entries under the old 'Open Triples' format. So, dependent on response for both, we may run 1 or 2 leagues on alternate weeks or just one.
Our Webmaster has the League Winners for 2019/20 season and the winners of the 50/50 Raffle which was drawn last week by Denis and Chairman Peter Church and are now on the Website (below). Keep a look out for your name but the winner of the Top Prize of £50 is not known. The lucky winner has a Blue ticket, number 925. If this is you, please contact the office on Monday mornings or me at home anytime and I will forward your Prize.
MAY NEWSLETTER - PART 3
1. Wednesday Evening League
Those Captains who had a Double Triples team should consider putting 2 teams in the New Aussie Open Pairs to give their squad members a good chance of playing more often. At this time I have 6 captains entered a team with only one of those has 2 teams. I am still waiting to hear from 6 other captains from last season who haven't entered yet. Just a thought!
2. Friday Open Triples
At 2.30 on Fridays there will be a new Open Triples league but only for players of limited experience i.e. having only played for 3 years or less. A great opportunity for new members to try competitive matches.
3. Saturday Morning Gang!
The new rota will be made ready for when we open again but I would remind you all that matches will start at 10.00am to allow for the Ladies County League to start at midday. You will be given the choice of start times in the Summer of 2021.
4. Men's County League
We will still have to play some outstanding games from last season and it is likely that the 2020/2021 season will be based on 2 rinks at home and 2 away.
5. National (EIBA) Competitions
I will be completing the paperwork for National entries to send to the EIBA on Monday 1st June, therefore if you have not already done so please send me your forms. You may of course send your entry directly to EIBA but all entries have to be into the National body by 8th June.
6. 2020 National Finals
These will be re-scheduled between 14th September and 12th October 2020.
7. Club AGM
Any officer nominations or proposals should be sent to the Club.
MAY NEWSLETTER - PART 2
History of Acle IBC and administration of Recreation Centre.
In 1992 the then Acle Parish Council sold land to Wimpey for nearly £1m and had no plans as to what to do with the interest (those were the days when Banks actually paid interest), let alone use of the capital
I was on the PC at the time and suggested they investigate adding a 6 rink indoor bowling club to the Centre. They agreed to undertake an independent feasibility survey which found in favour of the idea.
The sum of £350,000 was loaned (interest free) to the Recreation Committee as we also had to provide new playing equipment for the children and improve the car park.
I promised to pay the money back within 10 yrs but in fact we were in a position to do this in 7years.
Since then of course the club has become one of the most successful clubs in the country and over £1.5m has been passed to the Recreation Centre.
This Committee is responsible for the administration of the whole Centre. The committee has a large number of members nominated by the Parish Council and also has representatives from all users of the Centre.
Each year clubs nominate their reps and so tennis, indoor bowls, outdoor bowls, football, and cricket are all represented on the Committee. Our representative for the past few years has been Ken Scott-Greenard and we thank him for his time devoted to this vital role.
The Centre is a registered charity and in the old days charities were not allowed to run licensed premises so they had to form a separate Social Club Committee.
Social Club Committee
In the old days all those involved were volunteers so undertook the administration, serving behind the bar etc., free of charge. They obviously made a very good profit and were able to help the Recreation Centre financially.
Times change and it was necessary to employ Stewards to run the Social Club so naturally profits dropped.
This Committee is elected annually at an AGM from members of the Social Club.
All indoor bowlers are automatically members of the Social Club and so eligible for election.
It would be great to have some of our members volunteer to serve on this Committee and when times return to normal we will ask members to come forward and help. You will not be expected to serve behind the bar nowadays. Please keep an eye out for these elections.
Indoor Bowls Committee
Elected annually at AGM consisting of Officers of the club such as Secretaries, Presidents, Competition, Captains etc.,
2. GARDENING CONTEST
A reminder to enter into our Garden Competition. To enter you go to
https://form.jotform.com/201132201267337 and submit 4 photos. Bill will allocate a number to your entry. Good Luck
3. GARDENING AGAIN!
Is there any member who will be able to build or donate a trophy for the winner of the Gardening Contest. If you can please notify Denis or Lilian.
4. SAD NEWS
We are sorry to announce that we have lost two more members of our bowls club - Gerald (Lester Harrison and Terry Punchard. Our sincere condolences to their families at this difficult time.
IF YOU HAVE ANY ITEMS OF NEWS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO THESE NEWSLETTERS THAT ARE PRINTABLE AND APPROPRIATE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT THE CLUB
KEEP SAFE EVERYONE
LOCKDOWN NEWSLETTER - 2
1. WINTER LEAGUES
Just a reminder that we require your entries and that the Wednesday Double Triples is no longer and has been replaced with 2 divisions of Open Aussie Pairs.
2. NATIONAL COMPETITIONS 2020/21
The final date to receive EIBA Competitions if you would like me to process them is 1st June as the closing date has been extended until 7th. You may of course send your entries directly to EIBA if you wish.
3. COFFEE MORNING
As we will be unable to have our Coffee Morning in aid of MacMillan Nurses the Committee have agreed to contribute £500 from the General Charity Fund.
4. GARDENING CONTEST
As so many of us are spending so much time in our gardens the Committee have launched a 'Gardening Contest for Members'. To enter you go to https://form.jotform.com/201132201267337 and submit 4 photos. Bill will allocate a number to your entry. We have, at great expense, persuaded an Anglia in Bloom judge to decide who the winners are. All submissions must be in by 1st June. - Good Luck
5. GARDENING AGAIN!
We are hoping that some DIY members will be able to build and donate a trophy for the winner of the Gardening Contest. If you can please notify Denis or Lilian. Fortunately Denis is only allowed to work in the garden under close supervision.
6. SAD NEWS
We are sorry to announce the death of two past members recently. Jim Cole and Archie Tinkler. Our condolences to both of their families.
Well done to Trish and David Wooden for your contribution on the Website which really made me laugh. Check it out for yourself. A brighter moment to lighten your days.
8. SENOR BILL
Our techno wizard Bill Downie is currently helping a top club in Spain who are planning to install webcams.
9. We are still being positive and working for an October opening. That is this year and not 2021, hopefully.
KEEP SAFE EVERYONE
1. I hope everyone is keeping safe and well in these very difficult times.
2. POTTERS GANG! Denis has been booked the same week and accommodation for everyone for next March but anyone unable to go, let him know so he can arrange a voucher for you.
3. Old Hall bowls club has closed permanently.
4. Lynnsport A Men's Team have withdrawn and so all their results have been removed from the league which means Acle A are undefeated in the league. Lynnsport B will continue.
5. All Acle Club competitions will be left open until we open, hopefully, in September.
6. There is still time to enter National Competitions. Forms are available to download from the Acle Website. You may send your entries to the bowls club before the end of May as the closing date from EIBA has been extended to 7th June.
7. The May Newsletter will follow shortly with the final domestic league placings which are being worked out with a previously tried and tested formula.
8. The 50/50 Raffle will now be drawn as soon as restrictions are lifted.
9. Winter Leagues are coming in slowly. We will need to have as many as possible before the beginning of June to enable enough time to ring round Captains who have not already entered to check they are entering. Forms for Winter Leagues are on the Acle Website to print off. Send them in with payment to the Club as soon as possible please.
KEEP SAFE EVERYONE
MARCH / APRIL NEWSLETTER
1. CLOSURE. The Club will now go on total shutdown and following latest Government Guidelines, Denis will not now be opening as he hoped on Tuesday and Saturday mornings.
2. Winter League, National and Club and County competition forms are on the website. There is no closing date as such as the goalposts keep moving.
3. ACLE AGM. There will be no AGM but Denis will be happy to receive any proposals and nominations in the post so we can work on them and hopefully a lot of the officer posts can be slotted in. Where a vote has to be taken it will happen when we open the doors again.
4. WEDNESDAY EVENING. Following the survey, Wednesday Evenings will be an Aussie Format, hopefully in 2 Divisions and the Committee will decide which leagues teams will initially play in, so when you put in your entry please declare all the players in your team.
5. RAFFLE. Denis will draw the 50/50 raffle and any dated items will be replaced. Winners listed on future Newsletter but obviously not sure when you can collect.
6. MONIES. We will be donating £120 to Juniors and £120 to Aspergers Society from the raffle money. Thanks for your support.
7. I cannot think what, but if there is something at club that you cannot live without, contact Denis and he will arrange exchange.
8. PRESENTATION EVENING. This has been cancelled and the final league positions decided later by Committee unless obvious. Club Finals will take place in the second week of our return, perhaps on Sundays.
KEEP SAFE EVERYONE
Please Note :
The Club is now closed at ALL times
until further notice.
All Neccesary Forms for the AGM and next season will be made available for Downloading early this week commencing 23rd March
THE CLUB WILL CLOSE FROM TUESDAY 17TH MARCH UNTIL MONDAY THE 14TH SEPTEMBER
1. There will be no Summer Leagues (entry fee refunded later) and No Drives.
2. Club Raffle which has already raised £100 for Juniors and £100 for Aspergers Society will be drawn at the next Committee Meeting.
3. Presentation Night - cancelled.
4. AGM - cancelled
ENJOY YOUR BOWLS VACATION AND STAY SAFE
MARCH NEWSLETTER 2020
1. 50/50 RAFFLE. Still time to buy your raffle tickets for the Grand 50/50 draw which will be on 1st April. Proceeds will be divided between Asperger Society and Acle Junior Section. First Prize £50.
2. WEDNESDAY NIGHT SURVEY. Survey sheets are available. Please complete as soon as possible.
3. CLUB BASEBALL CAPS. On sale at reception for £10 for use indoors or out to wear with pride as you probably play for the best club in the country.
4. DUTY STEWARD. We could do with at least 1 more steward to cover for retirements and illness.
5. COVID-19. A reminder to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus to use the gel dispensers in changing rooms after washing your hands thoroughly. The shaking of hands before and after a game is optional.
6. NEW LEAGUE. The Open Triples league on Fridays at 2.30pm could be changed to a Novice League which will only be open to players who have played 3 years or less or it can be an open triples format. OR Should we say Open Pairs which is easier for new members to find a partner? Lets have your thoughts.
FEBRUARY NEWSLETTER 2020
1. The AGM of Acle Indoor Bowls Club will be held on Monday 27th April in the bowls lounge at 7.30pm. For any new or existing member wishing to represent Acle in any of the Club's 6 County teams can contact any of the Captains for further information or enter name and contact details on the list pinned on the ladies and men's noticeboards. The squads for 2020/21 season will be decided soon.
2. The Acle Presentation Evening will be held on Saturday 9th May. Tickets and further details will be available soon.
3. Look out for a survey coming out soon about Wednesday Double Triples for options to change it to some other playing format.
4. The Acle Recreation Centre are having an Open Weekend on 20th and 21st June and the Bowls Club will open for people to 'have a go'. Details will be posted later.
5. We are having a BIG 50, 50/50 raffle in aid of Aspergers Society (in support of our very own Matty Sparrow who is the Norfolk Federation County President this year), and 50% to our Junior section.
6. We are in need of a Steward to undertake the duty on Saturday mornings from 10am to 12.30pm and of course other days if you are interested. See Denis or Lilian for details. Full training will be given.
7. Next season we will be welcoming Jane and John Mann as our new Club Presidents.
8. England International, Andy Thomson will be visiting the Club on Monday 20th April to undertake a coaching session for our youngsters.
9. We will be having another Adult Skills night on Thursday 16th April. Details to follow.
10. There is a list of Social Events posted on the Noticeboard and we are already planning for next season.
11. WEB STATISTICS. To date we have had 19,455 hits on You Tube featuring our youngsters in the Potters Junior Final of 2013.
IF YOU HAVE ANY ITEMS WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE FEATURED IN THE NEWSLETTER, PLEASE CONTACT LILIAN AND IT WILL BE GIVEN DUE CONSIDERATION.
JANUARY NEWSLETTER 2020
1. Hope it is not too late to wish everyone a Happy New Year and a Healthy one.
2. We have 16 entries in the Wednesday night Aussie League. The teams will be split into 4 groups and winners will play a semi final and final.
3. Radio Norfolk. The Club was used as part of the Sunday morning Treasure Hunt with a visit from Julie Reinger who had to bowl to the 'jack' to find her next clue. Good publicity for the Club.
4. Next season. You will see a list of vacancies we have in various leagues for next season so please advise Lilian or Denis or any Duty Steward if interested so we can put you on the list which helps us formulate the program for next season.
5. Ladies County League. Next season is progressing ahead with changes despite the wishes of Acle Captains, negotiations will continue and we are investigating alternatives.
6. Federation. A programme of play-offs for the Federation competitions are displayed on the noticeboard.
7. The club is proud of the way the Acle Men's A team has unified as a TEAM and despite losing 8 players they are as strong as ever.
8. Top Club. congratulations to the players on reaching the last 16 of this national competition.
9. Congratulations to Ryan on being selected not only in the U18 England side but also in the England U25s team. Ryan becomes our thirteenth member to represent England - quite an achievement for a village club.
11. Please make yourselves aware of club rules with regards leagues. We recently had a team of ladies playing in a mixed triples league which is not allowed. Mixed leagues must include at least one member of the opposite gender, ladies leagues are only for ladies and men's leagues are only for men. The only other league which allows a team of all ladies or all men is the Friday Open Triples League.
Click Here to see the
Internal League Winners
for the 2019/20 season
Click Here to see the
Club’s 50/50 Raffle
ACLE RETAIN COUNTY TITLE
Acle Indoor Bowls Club retained the County O60s double rink league for the second season and have en undefeated at home and away for the past 2 years.
In the County Final at Dereham IBC they again met Woodlands IBC from Sheringham with the rink of Brian Kirby Ian Anderson, Ivan Borrett and skip Denis Goodley winning 22 - 18 and the other rink of Richard Pope, Bernard Wymer, Paul Webb and skip Roger Barnbrook winning 27 – 14.
17yr old Ryan Garman of the Acle Indoor Bowls Club was voted ‘ ‘Player of the Series ‘for England at the recent British Isles Championships .He is being presented with the Award by Denis Goodley who is Hon Life Member of the governing body of indoor bowls, the EIBA, and he is also the very proud Manager of Acle IBC.
‘Not only did Ryan receive this award for England but another ex Acle IBC member who was representing Wales ,Daniel Seabourne ,was awarded ‘Most Valuable Player ‘of all four Countries represented,’ he said,’this must be the first time that one club has provided both award winners at this level,’he added.
‘Ryan represented England U 18s last year and this year, at still only 17yrs of age represented England at U25s level. He is a credit to the club and their hard working coaching staff.’
The first winner of this award was yet another Acle bowler, Tim Stone, who won it in 2002/3 and went on to play for the Senior England side and also play in the World Championships on two occasions.
July Reinger of Radio Norfolks Treasure Quest who visited Acle Indoor Bowls to find a clue under a 'jack'
She is seen in Seen in the photo with 17 yr old Ryan Garman, our current England International, who instructed her how to bowl to the jack.
Also in the photo is Arran and Syd who always coach beginners on Sunday mornings
Bowls Hierarchy honour Norfolk Man
At a ceremony at the Acle Indoor Bowls Club recently, Ken Ince the retired Norfolk County Indoor Bowls Secretary was presented with the very first ‘Service of Merit Award’ from the English Indoor Bowls Association who were represented by their CEO, Peter Thompson who said,’
‘ I am delighted to be here today to present the first Service of Merit Award from the EIBA which recognises a very high level of dedication to the sport of bowls.’
Ken is a prime example of why this Award has been created. He has provided nearly 40 years of administration to the game in Norfolk through his own club and the Norfolk County Bowls Associaion. During this period he was County Secretary from 2000 to 2017 and President in 2010-11.
‘He provided great service to the EIBA as an Area Competition Secretary for 11 seasons and also our voluntary ‘proof reader’ of publications’
Therefore it gives me great pleasure to say Ken Ince, thank you on behalf of the EIBA and sport of Indoor Bowls for all that you have done and I am delighted to present our Service of Merit Award
Additional info for Acle Members – Ken was a member of Acle IBC and our Manager, whilst in post as Director of the EBA, nominated Ken for this Award.